Attention all Brooklyn orchid lovers-slash-party people! On Friday, February 10, Brooklyn Botanic Garden is throwing what sounds like an incredibly fun bash called Lush. The party is being held in the BBG Palm House and will include the following:
- Live music from boogaloo band Spanglish Fly (I actually have no idea what “boogaloo” style music is, but I imagine it’s festive)
- Tunes spun by WFMU’s Mr. Fine Wine and DJ Turmix
- Open bar with fragrant fruit juices and cocktails
- Mexican fruit ice pops from La Newyorkina
- Empanaditas from Purple Yam
- Latin-inspired confections from Tumbador Chocolate
- Mexican munchies from Chavela’s (I’ve eaten there and the food is delish!)
- Tropical fruit bites from Peeled Snacks
- Custom cut leaf silhouettes by artist Aaron Birk (this in particular sounds really cool and I’m curious to see the end result!)
But the most exciting part? I’ll let the event’s press release speak for itself:
“BBG curator Dave Horak will bring guests behind the scenes of BBG’s orchid collection, introducing some of the world’s most remarkable tropical specimens in BBG’s care. Guests will also have a special chance to see the orchid nursery, usually unavailable for public viewing, and learn about the critical conservation of tropical orchids.”
The events runs from 8pm to midnight and tickets are $65 a pop. I’m going to try to swing it, though being mostly unemployed makes it a hard for me to spend $65 for an evening out. The party does sound like it will be well worth it, though. Anyone out there planning to go?
Correction: I originally stated that tickets are $75, but they are in fact $65 apiece.
Sarah, my wife and I will be there, it sounds like it’s going to be a great evening!
Fabulous — it turns out that my boyfriend and I will be going too, so maybe we’ll see you there!