New to orchid growing? Welcome to this amazingly fun and addictive hobby!
I’m sure you have a ton of questions, just like I did when I bought my very first orchid back in 2009. So I’ve gathered my blog posts offering detailed yet easy-to-understand orchid care advice for newbies—and collected links to them here for easy access. I’ll be adding more posts to this page as I write them, so please do check back here from time to time.
Note: these posts mostly focus on Phalaenopsis orchid (aka “moth orchid”) care, simply because they’re the most popular orchid for first time growers.
I’ve listed my orchid care posts in recommended order, but feel free to jump around to any topic that you’re most interested in:
- • A Basic Guide to Buying Orchids
- • “What’s a Spike?” A Glossary of Orchid Terms
- • Beginner Tips on How to Grow Phalaenopsis Orchids
- • Top Three Orchid Newbie FAQs
- • Basic Orchid Supplies for the Home Grower
- • How to Water a Phalaenopsis Orchid
- • How to Fertilize Phalaenopsis Orchids
- • New Orchids: To Repot or Not? That is the Question
- • How to Identify Healthy vs. Unhealthy Roots
- • When and How to Stake an Orchid Spike
- • How to Cut a Phalaenopsis Orchid Spike
- • How to Make a Humidity Tray
- • How to Identify a New Orchid Root vs. Flower Spike
- • How to Recognize Orchid Roots and Orchid Spikes, Part Deux: Photos!
- • What Are Aerial Roots and What Should I Do with Them?
- • How Do I Get My Orchid to Bloom Again?
- • Keikis: What They Are and What to Do with Them
- • Tips on Caring for a Sick Orchid
- • Full Water Culture for Orchids: An Experiment
I hope you find these orchid growing tips and advice helpful. Happy growing!